Digging Bamboo Today+Update







My mom and dad's house has this GREAT bamboo that momma planted years ago to screen out an unslghtly view. She spotted it growing on a rural piece of property in Cordova and stopped and asked the owner if she could dig some. That was at least 10 yrs ago. I doubt if it is a native bamboo. Up here in the Memphis area they have had hard freezes and this particular bamboo is still totally green, and is a fabulous screen. It holds its leaves all the way down, grows densely, is much taller than native bamboo, and runs--everything I need. No idea about its salt tolerance tho.

Bamboo from the plant nurseries is very expensive. Insanely expensive, and I need a lot. The four pots I have bought locally in Gulf Shores were $89 each and if you try save by mailordering it, the postage is an additional expense.

Soooooooooo, the Man, the yardman (yes, his name is 'Man') is working today and I am on my way over with empty black pots in my traveling mini-storage of a car to dig bamboo with him this afternoon. The sun is out. I have cut a pair of old tennis shoes so my poor ailing toe can stick out--hope this works with minimum discomfort (if not, you can rest asssured I will tell you) .

Man and I dug some bamboo back in the spring and I drove directly to G.S. and planted it but it just got too warm too fast & was dry and it didn't live. BUT...Now is the perfect season for the attempted transplanting. I just need to do some web reading on successful bamboo root digging now before I grab my gloves and go.

Wish you were all here to grab and shovel and help !

Update: Bamboo is dug , bound, roots wrapped, tops trimmed and loaded in my car ! Now I think I will return to G.S. even sooner than I originally thought so I can get this stuff planted asap. My car is LOADED with VALUABLE CARGO !! Anyone up for an afternoon of planting?

Comments

Anonymous said…
Can you get Man to go with you? Digging is hard work. I've still got pansies in the flat from October and a friend gave me a box of assorted bulbs for xmas that I've got to plant. And they are small.

Good luck, it looks beatiful! Watch for bugs and snakes in the car!

Popular posts from this blog

Do You Know This Plant?

Color Change Paint Job

Miller's Birthday Today