Guess I am in good company...

I am in the first third of the book The Search by John Battelle. Out of curiosity, this morning, I went to the Amazon site to see what some of the reviewers had to say. Over all, good reviews and lots of *stars* but this one review made me laugh.

But he cannot spell, January 10, 2006
Reviewer: Keith M. Atkinson (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Loved the book--great sweep across the subject but it is full of spelling mistakes "Schimdt" is unforgivable & causal for casual?

Really sloppy proof reading.....


It does surprise me that in the days of word processing and spell ck that what is obviously a typo, rather than an actual spelling error...'causal for casual'....was not caught by some software along the way.
But it is somewhat reassuring to think that lack of spelling skills might just put me in good company. Recently,I had begun to wonder if I should order an eight grade spelling book and make flash cards, etc.. and see if I could work my way up from there. Nah...only so many hours in a day. Spelling will just have to remain a non-skill for me.

Lately it seems I am getting worse than ever, not remembering the spelling of words I once knew. I suppose new stuff has pushed that knowledge out the backdoor as it entered.

Comments

Anonymous said…
some of us are old enough to know about ee cummings, right? let's just consider it artistic. i find myself wanting to type phonetically, like "won" for "one", at least for the initial consonant sound (or maybe it's all subliminal from the lottery advertising). i've gotten to where i don't care about s's v. z's since this can be an american/british difference. i won the 6th grade spelling bee in my school, so used to be able to spell, but cannot abide the modern-day spelling bees. in the real world, there's a balance of timeliness and accuracy, and with the internet, timeliness is getting more & more important. but then we techies know that! oh well, just a little rambling!

Popular posts from this blog

Do You Know This Plant?

Color Change Paint Job

Miller's Birthday Today