Memphis Trip Report


Left Memphis about 11 a.m. and I got home in time and happened to turn on the TV and see one of the few shows I find fascinating. Miami Ink. I have absolutely no intention to ever, ever, ever get a tattoo, but I find the quality of work done on that show incredible and the stories of those who want a tattoo interesting.

It was nice to spend time with my parents. Fortunately it looks like they have made it thru the winter without flue or pneumonia illness like last year.

Currently, Daddy wakes up every morning to report that he was up most of the night and is suffering from a life threatening malady. The complaints vary from day to day. During my short stay I heard about burning eyes, horrible itching bumps all over (others can't see them), itching wrinkles in his skin where the p.j.'s 'dug' into him, hurting back, intestinal conditions you don't want to hear about and probably some ailments that I forgot. He treats himself with a lot of ointments and medications. Probably too many. He is getting more and more forgetful and confused, but hanging in there. The whole thing is very hard on Momma.

I was out and called their house one day and Momma reported that Daddy was lying on the sofa dying. She said it very calm and mater of fact. He was complaining of indigestion or something, but I think he told her he was dying of it. He lived and when we went out to eat that night at a chain restaurant called FireBird (I think) --he said on the way that he could only drink a co-cola but once there he managed to eat plenty of pork loin, part of my smoked salmon, potatoes, a glass of wine, a bloody mary, and about a whole loaf of the complimentary hot bread & butter !!!!!! So much for his near death condition !!! We can't help but laugh on the sly, but he is dead serious about the stuff he tells us.

Momma and I had fun running some errands together and we managed to use gift certificates from Trouseau that Lisa had given us a couple years ago, but we just couldn't bring ourselves to pay $198 bucks for a man's cotton shirt, (and similar prices for other clothes) at Oak Hall, so we still have credit there. It is true that the shirts were beautiful, but we decided to wait until a clearance sale is going on.

I rounded up all sorts of colorful, playful stuff at Dollar Tree (more my speed, price wise !) and a party store for some centerpieces I have to put together in next couple of days for a Pleasure Island Arts Assoc dinner for 90 on Sat nite.

Driving home was easy, light traffic, no police, sunshine---but always a long drive. I listened to 2 cassettes of the "JohnBoy & Billy" syndicated radio show, The Big Show--complete radio insanity, lots of it pretty funny. I like the tapes a lot better than the actual show since they are 'best of' and no mundane, worn-out music between the funny dialogs. And no ads.

I saw the most elaborate roadside memorial yet about 16 miles north of Westpoint, MS. It was a rather large angel statue surrounded by three flowering small trees and on the ground several flowering plants and a plaque or cross. I was going about 80 MPH on the opposite side of the divided hwy and had to look quickly. I find these roadside memorials fascinating. I see it t as an emerging form of folk art. I do not know the official DOT policy, but it appears that the accident site memorials are tolerated. At some point, I am sure they will become an issue as hwy right of way grounds keeping maintenance costs rise, having to mow around them, etc.

In my closets i found lots of things I had totally forgotten about, like my stars & stripes cowboy boots ! It was also a trip down memory lane. Turns out that it has been 22 years since moving in that house and I found things like a hand embrodiered Indian ladies top that I bought 30 yrs ago in Guatemala and hasn't been worn since a friend was a fortune teller one Halloween--hard decisions for me--into the Goodwill bag.

It took the entire time that i had at the Wilderwood house to empty my two main clothes closets. Didn't get to the coat closet, or clothes in the cedar closet in the attic. I made big bags for Goodwill, garbage, and brought a ton of stuff down here to try on and sort. I never made it to the bathroom clutter-will have to be next trip to Memphis. Harry was a big help and good sport. He used a dolly to transport my boxes and loaded my boxes into my car for me.

And speaking of Harry....
he is totally 'taken' by Roller Derby girls teams. He made one trip out to Phoenix a week ago on motorcycle to watch a big tournament and today he headed BACK to Phoenix for a Roller Derby event in his little high-milage auto. He tried to go to the Memphis team's practice last night, but was turned away as it was a 'closed practice'.
FYI--Wikipedia says : Roller Derby participants generally adopt stage names and gimmicks, evoking comparisons to Professional wrestling professional wrestling. However, unlike professional wrestling, roller derby (in its current revival) does not involve fixed or scripted matches.

Harry says he is planning to attend monthly roller derby events in Phoenix for the next couple months and then even more frequent ones in Houston. He knows all their zany names and exchanges emails with some of the team members. Harry is going to take roller skating lessons, he says.

Hmmmm....we definately have different interests.

I am glad to be back in warm Gulf Shores and looking forward to a fun weekend :o)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do You Know This Plant?

Color Change Paint Job

Miller's Birthday Today