VW Thing is Comin' Along






A while back, before he died, Miller and I had gone halvzies on a VW Thing.

It was gonna be his car down here for when he flew in. We knew it needed some work and he had done a lot of research on Things and ordered some parts. I had a Thing when he was a little kid and he and I were both 'of a mind' that they were way cool.

I decided to go ahead and have it repaired. Gary Norman of Gary's Garage, right down the street was recommended to me and it turns out that Gary is Heather's (my web helper) Dad.

So, in a super secret stealth location, guarded by a fierce cocker spaniel looking doggie and hidden by trees and long driveway, Gary is doing a great job making my little Thing a fun summer car. He has it completely re-wired (no speedometer maybe--who needs it ?--I know how fast I am going), he is rebuilding the seats w/ new covers, putting on the new top. I have to order a few more parts--new gas tank, some top parts, and get a new battery.

Then he'll crank it up and see about the brakes--I KNOW they need work.

Jes in time for summer--I can't wait. (Click photos for the big picture)

Comments

Anonymous said…
How wild. I used to have a Thing in 75. Bought for $3,000 and sold it for that much in 78 when I came to Memphis. Needed a Ford 150 truck to start the business. Loved it for fun, you will too, just too cold in the winter. have fun, Barb

Popular posts from this blog

Do You Know This Plant?

Color Change Paint Job

Miller's Birthday Today