The good new, the bad news, then the good news

The computer arrived and I let Heather (shown at desk) name it: Gracie.
Gracie has an opening thru the middle. Don't know if it is just for effect, or has some function in the cooling dept. But it is reminiscent of the buildings in Dallas and Nashville that private pilots try to fly thru just for a thrill.
I it is also bigger and blacker and heavier than my previous VAIOs. It is hooked up and works great.

Now, the fancy-ass 5 piece, no make that 6 piece, surround sound speaker system has a problem. It won't power on. We tried everything. Swapped out other speakers to be sure it was not just a setting in the tower, tried different power sources, all that. Called Sony, and got a real person with out any trouble who told me to call Logitech (speaker mfg) and Logtech tried to pass me off but I said NO, Sony said you would handle it. From then on, they were really nice and are shipping a whole new set asap, going out this week DHL. At first they told me I had to ship the defective speakers set back at my expense. But then as the conversation continued, Ted, the fellow I was talking to, began to crab-walk and saying stuff, like , well, if you don't ship it back, we aren't gonna do anything, and from our conversation, I can tell that you are not an idiot who has just overlooked a fuse or something, but it DOES help our engineers to design better products if you mail it back, you know.
At any rate, my new speakers are due to ship out this week. Meanwhile, I have some ordinary Sony stereo computer speakers plugged into it and Heather has taken Big Momma home with her alongwith the assorted parts, new hard drive,old hard drive, etc...to see what she can do with it. From questions I posted on Usenet, seems that the original bios will only support 137 GB, so she is gonna try to re-install old HD and see if she can get it to work enuf to get online to Sony's site to download any BIOS updates and then switch over to new HD.

We are not giving up. Too much good computer to toss out.

I now have Gracie sitting on top of Hottie, tucked up under the lip of the kitchen counter overhang and the once sorta hidden multiple wires ane all exposed as we have switched everything under the sun in last few days.

Still waiting on the replacement load-balancing router from Hawking Tech. The one I bought right before Xmas from Buy.com also would not power up, just like speaker problem , and I had to mail original one back in. The router is suppose to allow me to switch from DLS to Cable high speed instantly & automatically, the second one goes down.

BTW---I asked the FedEx driver yesterday if he delivered any Google Xmas boxes (it has multi-color dots on 4 sides & Google on front ) to other people on his route. He said no, and he'd have remembered if he did. (So much for the privacy act ), I just wondered if there were any fellow Google heads down here .....seems not.

it is cloudy and freezing cold, so I am going to curl up on the sofa/bed with a glass of Cask & Casket and read 'The Search'. And wait on spring---
no , I actually have to drive to Memphis tomorrow !




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Do You Know This Plant?

Color Change Paint Job

Miller's Birthday Today