Pilots are fun

I can tell you for sure, that if you could just pick a group as a whole, in general terms, for intelligent fun , polite, adventurous people to be around, choose pilots. Three young guys, all friends of Miller's flew in yesterday, spent the night and went to Hope Pres Xmas service last night to to a great Thai restaurant w/ friends from Huntsville and Memphis. We were loud and boistrous in the restaurant but some of us are friends with the owners so they were ok with it. Plus I think we are good tippers !

The pilots are all flying out today , back to the Tullahoma area. Tab, our friend from Huntsville had not met the pilots before but he is a rocket engine engineer so had lots in common w/ these guys.

I am now headed over to Hope to boss the Luminary Candle Team around. Hope has about 15 entrances and puts out about 1500 (a guess) white paper sacks with little candles in them from the various parking lots along the walkways. Tons of first timers come to the Xmas services. Around 13,000 total in previous years. Big music--jazzy music

Last year when I showed up , they were going about it in the absolute most inefficient manner imaginable.(Luminary assembly)I told them that I was sorry to be so bossy, but that this was one case where I HAD TO BE or I would lose my mind....an assembly line system was the ONLY WAY....plus, using the tinyest bit of time and motion analysis on the different aspects, cut the process time in half and produced a much better product. I am sure they will be thrilled to see me coming !

Then at 2:00 I meet with a Turtle Wax car wash supply owner friend about a new website.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Glad you're organizing the luminaries. Sometimes volunteer work can be frustrating because it needs to be somewhat business-like in order to accomplish much, but you have to be so NICE, and people have their little territories - it's a veritable minefield sometimes. Will never serve on another church finance committee.

Glad the pilots were fun. Next time I'm choosing a group of people to be around, I'll choose pilots! Actually, one of the most interesting people I know is a NW pilot who's also a baseball umpire. It is so fascinating to talk with him about obscure baseball scorekeeping rules, and he will quiz us with strange situations...well, you know how i am about baseball. someday, i'm going to convert you into a fan. i think when you see Johnny Damon play with the Yankees, you'll see the light!
Lundy Wilder said…
OK--now seriously, do you expect me to get really involved with any organization with the word 'Yankees' in the name?

Popular posts from this blog

Do You Know This Plant?

Color Change Paint Job

Miller's Birthday Today